Froggy ElderCalm Elderberry Syrup Recipe
With cold and flu season upon us, this elderberry syrup recipe works with your body's immune system to throat punch any nasty cold or flu trying to slow you down. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Servings 32 ounces
- 1 cup Elderberries (dried) You can use fresh but will need to double the amount
- 1/4 cup Echinacea purpurea (dried)
- 1/4 cup Lavender (dried & food grade)
- 1/4 cup Astragalus root
- 6 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups Distilled water Chlorinated water may adversely affect this recipe. If you need to use tap water, boil it in advance.
- 1 cup Raw honey
In a 2 quart saucepan, add all the ingredients except the honey.
Bring to a simmer over low to medium heat.
Cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes to an hour.
Strain solids from the liquid.
Allow cooling to room temperature. Add honey and mix to dissolve.
Pour into quart mason jar and store in the fridge.
Only add the honey when the syrup has cooled down to room temperature. Honey has healing properties of its own that are compromised when exposed to high heat.
For those with autoimmune disease, please consult your physician before using any immune-enhancing herbs.
Organic cane sugar can be substituted for honey, although you lose the medicinal properties of the honey.
It is ok to "play" with this recipe, if you would like to leave one of the other herbs out or add lemon juice, rose hips, or any other immune boosting herbs you like. The best thing about elderberry syrup is the many, many ways that you are able to make it.
Do not use for more than 2 weeks at a time.
Posts in this blog are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice. Before using any herbs, check for appropriate dosage, drug interactions, and contraindications. Information contained herein is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prescribe. Please consult your primary care physician regarding your specific health concerns.
- Adults 1-2 teaspoons 3x daily, increase to 1 tablespoon every 4 hours if illness occurs.
- Children ages 6-12: 1/2 teaspoon 2- 3x daily
- Children 2-4: 1/4 teaspoon 2x daily
Not suitable for children under 2